Glossy cabinet side panels… and other miscellaneous tasks – but mainly the side panels.
After the backsplash was installed, but before we completely finished the project with caulk… (because, you know, we have to break things up like that) Spencer and I continued with some other tasks in the kitchen. We installed the glossy white side panels, fixed a drooping cabinet cleat, installed the vent hood, and finished installing the rest of the cabinet handles.
Now, I don’t have any photographs from us transporting the panels or figuring out how many/what size panels we needed – because it wasn’t a very photo-worthy moment. Actually, transporting probably would have been, but I wasn’t pausing to capture it at the time. Just imagine: us + vehicle + large cumbersome object sticking out of said vehicle = fairly common renovation situation.
Anyway, back to the side panels. We had four locations for the panels – one side of the upper cabinets, one side of the refrigerator, one side of the pantry, and the back of the island. (The upper cabinets & pantry butted up against walls, so they didn’t need two panels and the other side of the fridge cabinet couldn’t be seen very well.)
We needed to maintain a factory edge on any visible sides. When cut, you are left with a raw edge that can not be easily covered. Fortunately, the only cabinet that needed more than one exposed side was the small piece for the upper cabinets. (You could possibly see the underside of the piece – I don’t know who could really see it… maybe Izumi our cat would appreciate the attention to detail.)
And after. We attached the panel to the upper cabinet & let it just hang from there – there is really no good way to temporarily attach it to the refrigerator itself. We did made sure that the panel was flush to the door opening (Yay preplanning!) Oh, and here you can see the tall cabinet on the far side of the refrigerator, which didn’t absolutely need a panel.
We purchased the largest cover panels that Ikea made for our project and trimmed those three panels to the appropriate depth with a circular saw (the sawhorses we purchased for the making the countertops were useful once again). We were able to salvage the unused cut-off-edge of the pantry tall cabinet (because it was the thinest piece) and get the panel for the upper cabinet.
The cover panel extending all the way down to the floor instead of stoping at the toe kick level. We wanted to do this for two reasons: One, to mimic the look of the refrigerator piece and two, the floor sloped so badly in this spot that the toe kick really wouldn’t extend high enough to meet the cabinet base – in other words, we needed to hide the discrepancy.
While we were at it, Spencer attached the electrical for the vent hood. I have to say, the shoes on the countertop makes me cringe! Also, I’m not quite sure why he has a hammer in his hand in this photograph.
There were two sizes of this particular hardware. We chose to use the longer handles for all of our cabinets. Unfortunately, this particular hardware was discontinued with the new cabinet change in the beginning of 2015. I really like this simple, modern design and would have used them elsewhere.
…and after. The raw edge of this panel looks jagadey because we had to cut it with a jigsaw. The countertop was not flat on the bottom, and as a result, when we went to tip the panel into place – it got caught on the bumps. I will also add that a jigsaw (maybe just our jigsaw, idk) is not a very precise tool. We are not big fans of hiding a mess with trim, but this case may be an exception.
Oh, and if you’re wondering, the sides of the island will be covered with concrete waterfall edges. We were just taking a breather from pouring the countertops and will finish them at a later time.