Alright, so I have a more lengthy story about the baseboards & how we decided on what were were going to do…. but in the name of finally revealing what the kitchen looks like (mostly finished), I thought I’d go ahead and talk about the minuscule amount of baseboards for the kitchen.
Here’s a close up of the baseboard measurement plan for the main floor of our house. The two rooms here are the kitchen (left) and foyer (right). Since we have door openings without any moulding, our baseboards flow from one room to the other – making them like one continuous line. When we did the kitchen, we also installed some baseboards on the left side of the foyer as well – we continued until a natural stopping point. Strictly for the kitchen though, we were looking at roughly ~174 inches (or 14.5 ft.).
Pulling off the wallpaper was really hard on this one wall… this is an example of where our mudding/patching skills were at the very beginning of the project. I will say that you really can’t tell that it looks this bad in person. This photo just amplifies the imperfection.
I used this teeny tiny foam roller to paint the boards… later, (when putting in more baseboards) I purchased a slightly-larger, not-foam roller that was much better. The tiny rollers are great for the edges.
We used our nail gun to install the baseboard and filled the holes with wood putty. After the putty dried, I sanded and did a few coats of paint on those areas – I then did one light coat with the tiny roller over the whole surface of the baseboard to even things out.
Like I did with the kitchen backsplash, I caulked the space between the tape, scraped off the excess with a dowel, and carefully removed the tape.
We did this small section of baseboard and waited a while before installing any more in the rest of the house. (We had other projects to attend to before the baseboard could be installed).
You would think that there isn’t much to the project: prep the boards, measure, cut, install, et cetera… but there is a little bit of figuring out flow and how to approach the project in sections. Initially, I had the preprimed boards sanded/cleaned up & completely painted (with multiple coats of paint) before we cut them to length. I found out that I could have had them 80% painted because I needed to paint them again anyway – after they were installed. Also, with any painting project, there is “dry time” involved that extends the overall timeline. After we installed the boards we weren’t done: we patched nail holes & waited to dry… painted & waited to dry… taped and applied caulk – all while keeping a curious kitty at bay!