In the last post about installing the kitchen cabinets, I mentioned that I redirected a vent under a cabinet. I kind-of quickly skipped past this project in order to write about the larger overall project. So, here’s a closer look at redirecting the vent!
The only vent in the kitchen sits at the base of the “bay window” (if you can call it that – it’s more of just a cantilevered box), directly under where we will be installing new cabinets.
This is a location where no cabinets had ever been… actually, it was most likely previously used as an eat-in table nook.
The result is that the vent needs to be redirected under the cabinet to the future cabinet toe kick.
So here were the plans: I only needed to construct a partial box because the floor would serve as the bottom side. I knew the dimensions of the existing vent hole, the height from the floor to the cabinet base, and the distance between the cabinet legs. I did not have the new vent cover at the time, but that information wasn’t needed for this portion of the project. I planned on cutting an appropriately sized hole in the toe kick in the future.
Tools: hammer & caulk gun
Materials: Pinnicale premium OSB subfloor (SFI 50 Year outdoor), nails, GE silicone clear caulk 9.8 oz. ($5.21 per bottle)
All of the materials for this project were left-overs from other projects.
I constructed the vent box from left over subfloor material that had a little lip on the edge. I used the lip on the upper edge of the box’s sides to help align the top piece & nailed the box together. I then caulked the inside seams. Clear calk is, for some reason, more runny than black calk of the same brand – by the way. It was troublesome, but it’s what we already had on hand and the color didn’t matter in this case.
After the box was finished, I applied a bead of calk to the base. I then flipped it over, positioned the box in the appropriate place, and calked the outside edges. In this situation, the calk served to secure the box in place and make it as air tight as possible. I didn’t think nailing the box down was needed as it would be hidden securely under a cabinet.
There ya go! A simple, inexpensive solution to redirecting our vent from the floor to a cabinet toe-kick.